Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Control Issues...

I think that a lot of dog trainers have one similar trait within their personality, even if most won't admit it. Some need to control. It's not a bad thing, nor is it always a good thing. It needs an appropriate outlet. Psychologically speaking, it may have come from lack of being able to control something else in their life, either presently or in the past. Then of course, you get the trainers who want to control with force and confrontation or you get the trainers who want to control in more of a matter-of-fact, this is just the way things are done kind of way. Without this trait of control, how would one have started experimenting with dog behavior, with the need to change the way the dog acts. There, of course, has to be a balance sought out here. Yes, I want to control my dog's behavior but I'm not going to change who they are, or what their personality is. For that reason, I need to take the time to try to teach the human side of the equation how to accept their dog for who he is, work with him rather than against him, and learn to parent him and advocate for him. 


Now here is where the controlling side of my personality clashing with the job. When I can't PUSH training on people. I know just how important training is, not only to create an obedient dog, but also to create a positive relationship with your dog. I can't march down the aisles of Walmart and slap everyone buying Beneful dog food upside the head. But don't think I'm not tempted! I can't preach to everyone, pushing a second manners class on them because I know the likelihood of success for the dog and person who takes that second class, over the person who just takes one to say they did. I am well aware of the financial constraints people have and of the time constraints. I know that people get their dogs for companionship, sometimes on a whim, sometimes mismatched, but the fact is that most people love their dogs and mismatched or not, they can't imagine their life without them. Realistically, I would love to insist that everyone consults a qualified trainer and behavior consultant but that's just not going to happen. Human nature is what it is. I want to control people so that they all get the help they need before it's too late. Most people want to wait until the last possible second to get help, because they have hope that everything will work itself out on its own. And I can understand that. Truly. 


Just remember that I, along with most other qualified trainers, have spent a lot of time and money in this field of learning about and studying dog behavior. It's not something that the average person is expected to know. Like doctors, teachers, veterinarians, mechanics, construction workers, we trainers study the things that the average person doesn't have time or the interest to study. 


No, I can't push classes on people. And I certainly can't push private training on people. But I can recommend that you seek help at the first sign of the problem. Ask for help! Don't wait until it's too late. Prevention goes a very long way.


Maybe that was my passive-aggressive control tactic, yes?



No comments:

Post a Comment