Saturday, March 5, 2011

Puppy Evaluation: Umbrella Startle Test

I thought I would share this video. I recently adopted my foster puppy, Cora, as most of you now know. I was looking back at some of the videos from evaluating them when they were close to 4/5 months old and one video I had taken was of their response to part of their test, the umbrella startle test. Basically, I open an umbrella and see how they react. I then put it on the ground and again, watch their response and their recovery period. 
You will notice many different responses, the most interesting being that of Eva, the black puppy - she never fully recovered from it and actually was really nervous about me for the next two hours, since I was directly associated with causing the startle. In the other extreme was my Cora (Erica at the time), up until this point she had appeared a little more independent (which some people see as shy or anti-social) but she surprised me by being the first one to go up to the umbrella and even walk on it, proving that she had a very quick recovery time to scary situations. This continues to prove itself as she grows up. 

Enjoy and please feel free to comment!! (I apologize for the shaky video)

No comments:

Post a Comment